In addition to the general admission requirements of the college, applicants must possess and demonstrate the traits and functional abilities that are essential for licensure and job performance of the practical nurse. An Information Packet is available.
Additional Admission Requirements:
- Complete the DSLCC Application for Admission and have official transcripts sent from high school(s) or other colleges you have attended.
- Complete a Practical Nursing Program (PNP) application (form coming soon)
- File Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- Take the Pre-entrance examination ($20.00 non-refundable fee) which is given four times a year (Jan/Feb/Mar)
- Applicants who receive a satisfactory score will be contacted for a personal interview with the Director. Applicants who cannot be contacted (for whatever reason), or fail to keep the interview appointment will NOT be considered for the program.
- After interviews are completed, the application materials will be reviewed and CONTINGENT admission will be granted to 15 applicants.
- Wait to receive notification of contingent admission or denial into the program.
Final Admission Requirements for those granted contingent admission:
- Applicant must arrange for and pass the Health Assessment Screenings. If follow up medical treatment is needed, it is the applicant's responsibility and expense to contact their primary care physician.
- Applicants are expected to provide proof of current immunizations.
- Applicant must have a urine drug screening test (approximately $50.00-applicant expense). Failure to submit and/or pass the health screening and/or drug test will result in denial of admission to the Practical Nursing Program.
- Applicant must undergo a Criminal Background Check (approximately $50.00-applicant expense) which is a requirement of the Virginia State Board of Nursing in order for students to practice clinical nursing in a hospital or nursing home. Applicants who have a criminal background check that would result in their not being eligible to be employed as a health care worker, will be denied admission into the Practical Nursing Program.
- Applicants will be notified by email of their final acceptance. The notification will include a "Statement of Intent" that the applicant MUST sign and return to:
Practical Nursing Program
Carilion Stonewall Jackson Hospital
One Health Circle
Lexington, VA 24450
- Tuition and fees must be paid by the deadlines set by DSLCC.
An information packet, detailing the above requirements, and providing Code of Virginia regulations is available.
Each accepted student will be expected to sign a statement that he/she understands that completion of this program does NOT guarantee automatic admission to the DSLCC Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) program.
Placement Test Scores
You will need to take placement testing to determine your skill levels in mathematics. If remedial work is required, it must be completed before you will be considered for admission to the nursing program.
VPT (Math) Test *, Must pass Units 1-4
* These scores may NOT be more than two (2) years old