Library Mission & Objectives
The Library is committed to supporting the purpose of Dabney S. Lancaster Community College, which states in part: DSLCC provides an opportunity for the extension of knowledge, skills and personal enrichment in a forum that maintains high academic standards, is financially and geographically accessible, and respects each student's rights and responsibilities
Reflecting the diversity of the educational, public and community service goals of the institution, the Library perceives its particular mission to include the following:
- To select and acquire as much of recorded knowledge as is consistent with the current and anticipated needs of its users.
- To design and produce learning materials for its users as is consistent with the limitation of available resources and manpower.
- To assist users in mastering the tools of the Library, and to provide access to needed information located elsewhere. To collaborate with VCCS institution to promote standards of Information Literacy as a core competency as defined by The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia.
- To process and organize the materials acquired according to recognized professional standards.
- To make the collection available to users while at the same time guaranteeing availability of materials to future users.
- To cooperate with other organizations for the advancement of scholarship and the effective utilization of resources.
- To provide a facility and atmosphere conducive to a variety of individual and small group study needs.
Implicit in this mission is embracing professional tools of management, instruction and recognized organization as published by The American Library Association's The Library Bill of Rights.
Adopted by the Learning Resources Committee, November 11, 1985
Endorsed, C & I Committee, February 1994
Endorsed, C & I Committee, March 2003
Endorsed, C & I Committee February 21, 2006