In addition to the general admission requirements of the college, applicants must possess and demonstrate the traits and functional abilities that are essential for certification and job performance of the ALS EMS provider. An Information Packet is available.
Additional Admission Requirements: Complete the DSLCC Application for Admission, have official transcripts sent from high school(s) or other colleges you have attended, and take DSLCC entrance placement tests.
- EMS Program application, to include a copy of the applicant’s DL, SS, current EMS Certification Card, CPR card and OMD/or Agency Captain Endorsement.
- File Free Application for Federal Student Aid (if appropriate)
- Take the EMS Program Pre-entrance examination and score a 70% or higher.
- Have three (3) letters of reference mailed to EMS Program Coordinator- Jeanette Mann
- Applicants who receive a satisfactory score will be contacted for a panel interview. Applicants who cannot be contacted (for whatever reason), or fail to keep the interview appointment will NOT be considered for the program.
- After interviews are completed, the application materials will be reviewed and CONTINGENT admission will be granted.
- Wait to receive notification of contingent admission or denial into the program.
Final Admission Requirements for those granted contingent admission:
- Applicant must arrange for and pass the Health Assessment Screening (applicant expense). If follow up medical treatment is needed, it is the applicant's responsibility and expense to contact their primary care physician.
- Applicants are expected to provide proof of current immunizations.
- Applicant must have a urine drug screening test (approximately $50.00-applicant expense). Failure to submit and/or pass the health screening and/or drug test will result in denial of admission to the EMS Program.
- Applicant must undergo a Criminal Background Check (approximately $50.00-applicant expense) which is a requirement in order for students to practice clinical nursing in a hospital or nursing home. Applicants who have a criminal background check that would result in their not being eligible to be employed as a health care worker, will be denied admission into the EMS Program.
- Applicants will be notified by regular mail of their final acceptance. The notification will include a "Statement of Intent" that the applicant MUST sign and return to:
Jeanette Mann RN, NREMT-P
CEWS-EMS Program Coordinator
1000 Dabney Drive
Clifton Forge, VA 24422
Tuition and fees must be paid by the deadlines set by DSLCC.
An information packet, detailing the above requirements, and providing Code of Virginia regulations is available.