Distance Education at Dabney S. Lancaster Community College
Distance Education at Dabney S. Lancaster Community College offers convenient and affordable options to students. DSLCC offers several online classes that can be found by accessing the college’s schedule. Additionally, the college is excited to offer Shared Services Distance Learning (SSDL) program in partnership with Northern Virginia Community College (NVCC). This program allows DSLCC students to access several pre-selected course offering from the SSDL course schedule.
We believe that you will find the Distance Education course offerings at DSLCC educational, rewarding, convenient, and affordable. For more information concerning Distance Education and the Shared Services Distance Learning, please contact Student Services.
Explanation of Distance Learning Course types:
- Asynchronous: Class content is in Blackboard, students have weekly class requirements but no general required class times.
- Synchronous: Class meets online at specific times each week, course content is in Blackboard.
- Hybrid: Class meets in the classroom on specific dates and times throughout the semester. Course has both online and classroom requirements as indicated by instructor.
Minimum Computer Requirements for Online Courses*
- Windows-based operating system (Windows XP/Vista/7/8)
- Dual-core processor or better
- 1GB RAM
- 16GB free hard drive space
- 56k dial-up connection; DSLCC or cable strongly suggested
Phones, tablets and other computing devices, while they may work, are not supported for submitting assignments, posting discussions, or taking assessments.
The Blackboard Learn Mobile app is available to students using iOS or Android platforms. The app allows students to access Blackboard information through their mobile device or tablet. Information on blackboard Learn Mobile can be found at the Blackboard Learn Mobile website.
*Some classes require additional requirements, which may require changes in the generalized configuration. Please refer to the course’s syllabus for more information.